How do you avoid getting hacked your WordPress website? You should follow quick simple step for securing your WordPress site and install WordPress securing plugin is a good way to extra protection for your blogs.
WordPress security plugins for access control, login security, spam protection, content theft protection, backup tools, file integrity monitoring, email protection, firewall and much more.
This post focused on highly-rated plugins covering a range of security features that needed for your sites. If your web hosting provider doesn’t already have a comprehensive security solution, installing one of these would be a great first step in your security strategy. Here are some of the top WordPress security plugins to help you protect your WordPress site.
10 Best WordPress Security Plugins 2017
WordFence WordPress security plugin includes these security features:
- Firewall. WAF with automatically updated firewall rules that block common WordPress security threats.
- Blocking features. Real-time blocking of known attackers and malicious networks and other security threats.
- Login security. Two-factor authentication, enforced strong passwords, security to lock out brute force attacks.
- Security scanning. Scans core files, themes and plugins for malware and backdoors, and checks for files that have been changed.
- Monitoring. Monitors traffic in real time including bots and reverse DNS, monitors for DNS changes and disk space.
- User accounts security. Change the default admin username, check for user display names that are the same as usernames, password strength tool, stop user enumeration.
- User login security. Login lockdown (brute force protection), log out inctive users, view failed login attempts, whitelist IP addresses, see who’s logged in, CAPTCHA.
- User registration security. Enable manual approval, CAPTCHA, Honeypot.
- Database security. Set the default WP prefix, schedule automatic backups.
- File system security. Identify and fix insecure permissions, disable file editing from WP admin, monitor system logs.
- htaccess and wp-config.php file backup and restore. Easily backup, restore and modify these important files.
- Blacklist functionality. Ban users based on IP address or range, or by specifying user agents.
- Firewall. Add firewall protection via htaccess, firewall rules that stop malicious scripts.
- Brute force login and attack prevention. Cookie-based login prevention, CAPTCHA on login form, rename login form URL, Honeypot.
- Whois lookup. Get full details of a suspicous host.
- Security scanner. File change alerts, scan database tables for suspicious strings.
- Comment spam security. Block IP addresses of spammers, add CAPTCHA to comment form.
- Front-end text copy protection. Disables right click, text selection and the copy option.
The free version iThemes Security WordPress security plugin gives you some protection, but the Pro version includes these security features:
- Two-Factor Authentication. “Use a mobile app such as Google Authenticator or Authy to generate a code or have a generated code emailed to you.”
- WordPress Salts & Security Keys. “The iThemes Security plugin makes updating your WordPress keys and salts easy.”
- Malware Scan Scheduling. “Have your site scanned for malware automatically each day. If an issue is found, an email is sent with the details.”
- Password Security. “Generate strong passwords right from your profile screen.”
- Password Expiration. “Set a maximum password age and force users to choose a new password. You can also force all users to choose a new password immediately (if needed).”
- Google reCAPTCHA. “Protect your site against spammers.”
- User Action Logging. “Track when users edit content, login or logout.”
- Import/Export Settings. “Saves time setting up multiple WordPress sites.”
- Dashboard Widget. “Manage important tasks such as user banning and system scans right from the WordPress dashboard.”
- Online File Comparison. “When a file change is detected it will scan the origin of the files to determine if the change was malicious or not. Currently works only in WordPress core but plugins and themes are coming.”
- Temporary Privilege Escalation. “Give a contractor or someone else temporary admin or editor access to your site that will automatically reset itself.”
- wp-cli Integration. “Manage your site’s security from the command line.”
The free WordPress security plugin includes these features:
- Security Activity Audit Logging
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
5. Jetpack, which now includes VaultPress
VaultPress includes these security features:
- Backups. “Comprehensive daily or real-time automated backups stored in our offsite digital vault, optimized for WordPress and better than your host.”
- Restores. “Even during the most stressful moments we have your back. Restore your entire online presence quickly and easily without needing your host.”
- File scanning. “Automatically detect and eliminate viruses, malware, and other exploitable security problems that may be hiding in your website.”
- Automated file repair. “Fix detected viruses, malware, and other dangerous threats with a single click.”
- Spam defense. “Protect your SEO, readers, and brand reputation by automatically blocking all spammers.”
The free version includes these security features:
- One-Click setup wizard
- .htaccess website security protection (firewalls)
- Hidden plugin folders / files cron (HPF)
- Login security & monitoring
- Idle session logout (ISL)
- Auth cookie expiration (ACE)
- DB backup: full/Partial, manual/scheduled, email/zip, cron delete old backups, logging
- DB table prefix changer
- Security logging
- HTTP error logging
The Pro version adds these features:
- AutoRestore Intrusion Detection & Prevention System (ARQ IDPS)
- Quarantine Intrusion Detection & Prevention System (ARQ IDPS)
- Real-time file monitor (IDPS)
- DB Monitor Intrusion Detection System (IDS)
- DB diff tool: data comparison tool
- DB status & info
- Plugin firewall (IP Firewall): automated whitelisting & IP address updating in real time
- JTC anti-spam/anti-hacker
- Uploads folder anti-exploit guard (UAEG)
- Custom php.ini website security
- F-Lock: read only file locking
- Additional logging options
- S-Monitor: monitoring & alerting core
- Pro Tools: 16 mini-plugins
7. SecuPress – WordPress Security Plugins
SecuPress includes these features:
- Anti brute force login
- Blocked IPs
- Security alerts
- Malware scan (Pro)
- Block country by geolocation
- Protection of security keys
- Block visits from bad bots
- Vulnerable plugins & themes detection (Pro)
- Security reports in PDF format (Pro)
The free version lets you achieve the following:
- Perform 50+ security tests including brute-force attacks.
- Check your site for security vulnerabilities and holes.
- Take preventive measures against attacks.
- Prevent 0-day exploit attacks.
- Use included code snippets for quick fixes.
- Brute-force attack on user accounts to test password strength.
- Numerous installation parameters tests.
- File permissions.
- Version hiding.
- 0-day exploits tests.
- Debug and auto-update modes tests.
- Database configuration tests.
- Apache and PHP related tests
- WP options tests.
You can even more protection using these Pro modules:
- Core scanner. “Easily monitor the state of your WP core files. Have a clear view of files that are modified but shouldn’t be and restore them with a single click.”
- Malware scanner. “Powerful heuristic malware scanning algorithm will check all your themes, plugins, uploaded files and options table for suspicious content.”
- Auto fixer. “If you don’t like creating backups, editing files, messing with code and getting your hands dirty – Security Ninja PRO will do everything for you. Fix security issues with one click.”
- Events logger. “Monitor, track and log more than 50 events on the site in great detail. From user actions, to post edits and widget changes – Events Logger sees everything.”
- Scheduled scanner. “Have Security Ninja do automatic, periodic scans of your sites, including scans of core files. If there are any changes you’ll be notified via email.”
9. Google Authenticator – Two Factor Authentication
Google Authenticator is a best Clef alternative Two-Factor Authentication plugin for an extra layer of security for your site. This plugin supports both miniOrange Authenticator and Google Authenticator.
WP Antivirus Site Protection is the security plugin to prevent/detect and remove malicious viruses and suspicious codes.
- Deep scan of every file on your website.
- Daily update of the virus database.
- Heuristic Logic feature.
- Quarantine & Malware removal feature
- Alerts and Notifications in admin area and by email.
- Daily cron feature.
- Scanner can detect a wide list of malware types.
- Whitelist solution after manual review.
- Possibility to upload suspicious files to www.siteguarding.com server for review by experts.
- View Security reports online
- Bruteforce protection