Having a personal brand has many advantages to it. You will become a trustworthy and authoritative figure in your industry, you will be able to build your network and attract more clients, and you will build your own platform. Here’s a full guide on how to use personal branding for yourself or your business.
#1 Determine Your Vision
The first step in the process of personal branding is to determine your vision. The point is to understand what your personal brand will be like. Ask yourself such questions:
- What is my primary aim?
- What are my secondary goals?
- What kind of message do I want to be sending?
- What are my priorities?
- What resources do I have?
- What do I want my image to be?
- What is my audience looking for?
You want to be sure that you are heading in the right direction, so determining your vision from the very start is essential. Only once you’ve done it, you will be able to set your plans into motion and start completing certain actionable tasks.
Create a personal vision statement to guide you and your team. You will have to take into account your abilities, goals, values, interests, skills, and experience to craft a personal vision statement that will correspond to your business the best.
#2 Research Your Target Audience
The second step is to research your target audience carefully and understand what your target market looks like and is comprised of. You could say that this step is somewhat similar to the first one but instead of looking inside your business, you will need to look outside. Ask yourself such questions about your audience:
- What is their age?
- Where do they leave?
- What is their education?
- What are their jobs?
- What is their income?
- What do they value?
- What are their needs?
- What are their interests?
- What are their hobbies?
Gather all the relevant data about your potential customers and analyze it. You will then need to apply it both to your vision statement and to your future marketing campaigns. The more you know about your audience, the more likely you will be to succeed with your advertising.
#3 Know How You Are Different
In other words, determine your point of difference. Ask yourself: What makes my brand different from anyone else? If you know the answer, then you are on the right path when it comes to personal branding.
Every industry and every niche will have a lot of competition that you will have to beat in order to get through to your audience. In order to stand out from the crowd, there should be something special about your brand that will attract attention. It doesn’t necessarily have to be something extremely exceptional though.
It’s true that nowadays it is very hard to create something truly original because almost everything had been done before. But it is still possible to be authentic. For example, you could take a common idea and find an unusual approach to it. Do things your way and listen to your intuition to find something that will fit your brand.
#4 Work on Your Online Presence
This one may sound simple, but growing your online presence is actually pretty complicated and will need time and dedication. Besides, it is a continuous process, so you will have to be doing it non-stop throughout the whole existence of your business.
If you are trying to reach an international audience, make sure that you offer content in the appropriate languages. Use an online translation and localization service like The Word Point to translate your content into the languages of the countries or regions you will be targeting.
Work on the look of your website and make sure that it is mobile-friendly. You want to be offering the best user experience to your potential customers. Create social media accounts for your business if you don’t have them already. We will be going into more detail about this in the next steps.
#5 Create Your Content Strategy
Your content strategy is basically how you plan to launch and maintain your digital marketing campaign. To create a good content strategy, think of such things as:
- Content Topics: The topics that you will be creating your content on. They will be based on who your target audience is and what your vision statement is. You want your content to be relevant and interesting to your audience and, of course, you want it to solve their problems.
- Content Types: Will you only publish articles or is there something more to it? Infographics, videos, podcasts, and other types of content are great for generating traffic, so don’t hesitate to consider them along with the usual articles.
- Posting Guidelines: How often will you be posting and during what time of the day? How is the content supposed to be formatted and where to will it be uploaded? Which keywords should be used and how should the content be optimized for search engines?
#6 Plan Your Social Media Strategy
Social media marketing is closely related to your content strategy but is important to set it a little aside because it is a very broad topic by itself. To plan your social media strategy, think of such things as:
- Which platforms will you be using?
- Who will be managing your social media accounts?
- Who will be creating content for your social media accounts?
- Will you be posting text, images, videos, or something else?
- What will the schedule for publishing content be?
- Will you be hosting live streams regularly?
- Will you be hosting contests or giveaways?
- Will you be using influencer marketing?
- Will you be launching ad campaigns (e.g. Facebook Ads campaigns)?
#7 Make Your Name Known
Last but not least, make your name known! Reach out to others like you and connect with people in your community. Don’t try to be a lone wolf because it’s really better to be a team player. Find other businesses and collaborate with them.
Focus on promoting your website and blog but don’t forget about your social media profiles. Kickstart your digital marketing campaign by hosting a competition or giveaway (even if it will be your first and only one).
Remember that it takes time, dedication, and investment to build your personal brand and establish yourself in your niche. You don’t want to give up at the site of the first challenge or problem you encounter.
In conclusion, personal branding comprises of a variety of important factors that are integral to your brand’s image. Follow the steps in this article to build your personal brand and start attracting more customers.
Melissa Mauro is a self-improvement author who is always interested in new projects. She wants to create her own writer brand, that’s why Melissa is looking for fresh platforms for the implementation of her ideas. Creativity and unique style make it possible to deliver valuable and engaging content to her ideal reader.